There are situations where you need to apply a Credit to a customer's account, that does not relate back to a specific invoice. To accomplish this, you apply a Credit to the customer's account.
- Under the Customer record, click Credit in the left-hand menu.
- Click the Create Credit button to create a credit.
- Enter the amount of the credit.
- If there are outstanding/overdue invoices, they will appear in the Allocations list at the bottom of the screen. Allocate the amount of the credit to the various invoices, or clear out all of the boxes (type in a 0 in each box) to leave the credit unallocated.
- Click Create to create the credit.
Effects of Applying Credits
The impact of the credit on your customer's record will depend on whether you allocated it to outstanding invoices or not. In the example below, the $50.00 credit was not allocated to any overdue invoices, so the customer remains in poor standing and their account is suspended.
You can go back at any time and allocate available credit to an invoice by clicking the Allocate Available Credit button on the Credit page:
Once you have allocated the $50 credit to the overdue invoice, the customer is returned to Good standing and their service is Active.